Thursday, March 20, 2014

Plain

DSCF4445a

There are two kinds of projects around here—stuff I want to make, and stuff I want to wear.  Sometimes they are the same, but sometimes not, and this one is fully the latter, which surprises me, because it is nothing but a big rectangle of knitting, in stockinette stitch, with no more than a “slip one” at the beginning of each row to keep me awake, and normally I love that kind of thing, but this rectangle; this thing is the most supreme plainness.   This project is the epitome of plain.  I am dying to throw in a bunch of stripes or something, or twee up the edging just so I know I’m alive, but in the end a hand goes up to stop me, because I really want to wear this, and I really want the plain one.  It is tedious, though.  As I work, I can see nothing whatsoever happening.  I am relying on the yarn, beautiful Chickadee from Quince and Co, in “Frost”, to soothe the tremendous ennui, and it does a little, because it is that great.  It is so soft, you could persuade me it was cotton.  Swoon.

In other news, the buds on the orchid are SO fat.  I feel like I’m holding my breath.  Also, Grandma’s birthday is upon us, and she (of the perfect triangle points) is 97 years old.  Her secret to a long and happy life is to eat your vegetables, tend a flower garden, make art, treasure your children, and find someone to love.  She still flirts.  Rock on, Grandma.  I love you a whole bunch. 

16 comments:

  1. I hope that you keep enjoying your knitting! Congratulations on such a great outlook and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your grandma, I hope that she has a wonderful fun filled day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such beautifully consistent stitches. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project. A huge Happy Birthday to your Grandma! 97!! Amazing!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to the lack of noticeable progress on plain stockinette. I've acquired the habit of putting a removable stitch marker on my first stitch when i sit down to knit so i can look down once in a while and be able to see that i really have made some progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to someone who sounds much like my own Gram (r.i.p.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your Grandma, she sounds amazing. I just lost my 95 1/2 year old MIL, she was amazing too. I want to be her when I grow up, wearing bead bracelets with peace signs, super cool.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Complimenti per il tuo blog! Fai delle creazioni veramente belle e originali! Mi chiamo Emanuela e da oggi sono una tua nuova follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quince and Co. has the most lovely yarn, and they even have great names for all their lines. I get the "wants" when I look at their website.
    Your plain knitting looks soft and calm and I would be fighting the same color demons along the way.
    Granny must be doing something right. 97 is epic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, best Happy Birthday wishes to you Grandmother. You are so lucky to know her well when you are both adults.

    I agree with you about how lovely the Quince yarns are to see, to touch and especially, to knit with. Those Quince folks know what they are doing.

    Please do lessen the mystery and show us what it is that you are knitting with these beautifully even rows of stockinette.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your grandma's philosophy, and how lucky you are to have one reach such a great age. A treasure indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your grandma! It certainly sounds like she has found the essence of a long life. We should all live her philosophy every day. Bless her! Everything you make turns out beautifully so this will be no exception. Knit away! Happy Spring! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your rectangle is heavenly. I wish I could smoosh it in my hands. I also wish I could figure out what it is. Whatever are you knitting?? Happy Birthday, Kristen's Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your grandmother's secret. Your rectangle is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Grandma! I miss my own, whom I lost 2 yrs ago, 1 month before her 91st birthday.
    Dying to see your knitting modeled as a finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow... Happy birthday to Gramma !!! I love her life rules. And I'm sure I'm going to love the plain... Elegant " whatever it will be " . Can't wait for the result :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to Grandma!!!! A bit delayed as I've been offline caring for my Granddaughter who endured a concussion on 3/6 and is still not allowed to return to school ~ headaches and blurred vision ~ keep her from reading, electronic devises and in general using her brain and eyes for anything that involves concentration....
    Have been reading to her and of course keeping my fingers nimble with yarny goodness and a hook! Looking forward to seeing your soft and sumptuous piece!

    ReplyDelete