Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Storm Watch

DSCF4396a

Oh, another storm.  This one comes at us like a Nor’easter, and there’s a little bit of thrill that comes over me at the thought of a Nor’easter, since I am from the Midwest where we hid from tornadoes and storms were just storms.  Now I live in a place with Nor’easters, which makes me feel hardy, and reminds me of Burt Dow, Deep Water Man, who is tough as nails and puts a band-aid on a whale.  Yellow slickers and ruddy sailors, tough New Englanders, who are equal to any weather. Nor’easters are serious weather, but for inlanders, they mean the wind/rain/snow comes from the east, instead of the usual west, and that all the resulting drifts will be in a different place, and I have to batten down the east-facing henhouse with extra straw.  I have big plans to bake cookies and finish all the laundry in case the power goes out, and then hibernate beside the fire with the ultimate plain knitting.  Hand piece some quilt squares.  I may take a nap.  Find something on Netflix that takes place in the Caribbean.  

16 comments:

  1. And we complain about 12 days of rain. Okay, we've had it lighter in my valley, up in Jo'burg at least ten low level bridges were destroyed by yesterday, roads are kaput, etc. But at least, no tornadoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep warm..what a winter you all have had..sending you some sweet warm AZ. sunshine to get you thru until spring arrives! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. stay safe! i'm envious though, kind of love storms and being tucked in for the duration! enjoy your comfort knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you.......we're in the middle of another storm here in Michigan...another 6 inches so far.....I just need a little color....anything other than white! I'd love to bake some cookies....but my "girls" aren't keeping up with laying enough eggs for our demands lately. Spring is in a week.....right? We can only hope.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post was like reading the synopsis of a very interesting short story. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds cosy - and if I'd to recommend something on Netflix how about House of Cards? Keep warm x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've just enjoyed three days of sunshine after a winter of grey skies, gales and rain, rain, rain.
    Stay safe, spring is around the corner!
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound prepared and positive, that is such a gorgeous and cozy photo. Much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, I think that photo really does set the stage for whatever sort of wintry storm this lingering season has in store for us.

    I went out earlier today on this a day off from work, did my errands. Came home, did the dusting and vacuuming, and then settled in with some knitting. Made the mistake of switching on the tv for the weather forecast and learned that there had been a huge explosion over in East Harlem and my knitting and I were glued to the tv screen for hours.

    Counting my blessings tonight, I do hope that the overnight weather will only give us more of the rain that is now falling. And, I am finishing a knitting project.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that on the news--sad and scary. Haven't heard yet about the missing. :(

      Delete
  10. We're waiting out a Nor'easter too. So far we have about a foot of snow and the wind is blowing like crazy. But we are warm and cozy by the fire. I also did some baking and finished the laundry, just in case the power goes out! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And down under we are in a drought with brown dirt backyards.... cyclone expected this weekend though! That will change things!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a quick thanks for the link to Churchmouse Yarns & Teas -- my new favorite shop! And I just can't wait to get my hands on that pattern for the easy folded poncho... perfection.

    :) Great blog by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love proper storms, where you can hunker down and eat things that are otherwise unhealthy. It's okay when there's a storm, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're from the Midwest? What parts? I'm from Joplin, MO. Anyways, just wanted to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danna, I'm from central lower Michigan. :)

      Delete