Thursday, March 13, 2014

What to do when it snows

DSCF4432a

When life gives you a nasty March blizzard, sit beside your cozy hearth and stitch quilt blocks. If you have no hearth [goodness, get one immediately] sit beside the furnace vent or something, anything.  In between long stretches of plain knitting, I made these while we watched (too much) special edition storm coverage on tv, watched Mike Seidel just about get blown over into the big lake.  We stood at the window, gawping at the apocalyptic amounts of snow drifting up in our neighbor’s driveway, while the wind scoured the grass clean—why does it do that?  How does it know to put a three-foot drift right behind the back door, but leave the yard bare?  This morning, as he helped us dig ourselves out [that guy is getting a pie or something, I just adore him] he told me there is a drift behind his garage “this high” and held his hand above both our heads.  I am just so fascinated by the dang weather, I don’t know.  Anyway, the sun came out again today, and as I plowed my way to the henhouse this morning, they squawked and flapped at me, so mad, indignant, heads poking out the door flap, malice in their eyes.  They have totally had it.  I cooed at them and gave them corn and fresh lettuce, and they looked at me sideways before they ate it, like That’s RIGHT you’re giving me a snack.  Oh, you better beLIEVE you’re bringing me a treat right now.  And then, there will be an egg.  Those little gals are such troupers. 

DSCF4424a

I’m halfway to a quilt top with these.  I mean, already?  Really?  It has been no work at all. 

7 comments:

  1. I love that you are hand piecing your nine-patch. Hardly anyone hand pieces anymore. I love the look of a handmade top, especially with hand quilting. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love it all! The hearth, the mad hens, the helpful neighbor, the snow, the blocks. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Ma Kettle, good to know we are not alone in the snow belt and that our friendly neighbours cross the lake are getting their fair share ;) I spent the day in Toronto so that I could relive the commuting experience with disgruntled regular travelers on the train ... gosh they're grumpy when the train makes "all regular stops". Came home to freshly cleared driveway and dinner on the stove. I should go out in snowstorms more often. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having giggled at this post I have just mined your archives for more ... did I tell you that I love your blog! Thank you for the good cheer. Hope it's okay if I add Cozy Things to my blog's Blog Crush page x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I love your latest project. Years ago I started a hand sewn something or other - don't know where it went. I will enjoy it again by watching yours.
    I'm also enjoying your snow days. 72 degrees here today. I did not wear a single shawl here this non-winter. I might have to start crocheting a bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we lived in NY I was sometimes amazed at the drifts of snow. We opened our front door once and just saw a wall of snow.... So glad you are keeping warm and your chickens alive if disgruntled by their lot in life :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there baby!
    I'm so looking forward to this hand pieced's revel!!!!
    And while the girls may be squawking they are not angry w/ You they were just commiserating <3

    ReplyDelete