Friday, June 23, 2017

On a roll

Friends, sweater fever is upon me.  I have, I'm not kidding, three newly finished pullovers.  I know!  I know.  It is summer.  What's with all the wool?  I just have the mojo right now.  The gold/pink one (Hilde noticed it was the color of Catdog, which is totally true) is my own pattern, and there will be more on that later.  That one just worked out so well, and stripes will always make things go fast; something about them is endlessly interesting.  Oooh, pink is next!  Aaaahh, it's almost time for gold again!  Two more rows and it's time for more pink!  I am simple.  The bright blue (top right, and below) is my finally finished Folded by Veera Valimaki, and I think I have to conclude that it is too short.  
Another inch and a half and one more set of increases at the hem will transform the way I feel about this garment.  Which, because that pattern is knit bottom-up, gives me a headache.  It means a tedious removal of the cast on edge, with much picking and swearing and cutting of the yarn, bleah.  I do not look forward to that, but the yarn (Madelinetosh Merino Light, in "Ink") is so wonderful, and the fit is otherwise pretty good, so I will buckle down and do that.  I will.  I promise.  
 
This one, the closest thing in the pile to gray [what's going on?] is still wet and is covered with dog hair, but after much re-doing, is also finally finished--it is Stormtracker by Alicia Plummer; plain stockinette in the body, sleeves smothered in cables.  Smothered feels like the operative word with this sweater right now, because I had to try it on a million times while knitting it to check the fit, and it is way too hot around here right now for those shenanigans.  Get that wool off my neck!  I'll show it to you when it's dry.  I will love this one in October, which will come soon enough, I'm in no rush.  I knit those cabled sleeves four times in total to get them big enough for my upper arms--I think I chose the wrong size to begin with, but it worked out in the end.  I assume.  I am not putting it on today, ugh, it's too hot. 
 The rainbow striped thing in the middle is my current obsession, more to come on that one as well, and then last night, I cast on yet another--Mazzy by Elizabeth Smith, that is tweedy and black and I can't wait to wear it.  Because it isn't sweaty enough around here or anything.  I'm just really motivated right now, and in full-on sweater knitting mode.  This does seem to happen to me a lot.  I've been asked, "Isn't summer the off-season?"  Which does give me pause, but no.  I knit like a fiend all the year long, and always something wooly.  That's how I roll.  
I also finished spinning and plying all this, whoo, isn't that pretty?  I bought a big bump of hand-dyed roving at the Fiber Fair so far back in the olden times that the whole thing, about 20 oz. of it, was eight dollars.  It looked to me like the dyer had made an attempt at camouflage--it is comprised of forest green, khaki, black, and little dabs of cobalt blue here and there, but it all blended together at the end to make a really nice teal.  I haven't measured the yardage yet, but there might be somewhere between 800 and 1000 yards of it, which is just about enough to make a--wait for it--sweater.  Because I am a beginner spinner, there isn't much consistency from one skein to the next, so I think maybe striping it with something else will be a good idea, and there is just about enough Malabrigo worsted in "Lettuce" left over from this.  I think that grinchy green will add just the right amount of pizzazz.  What are you guys up to?

10 comments:

  1. Great post ! Three sweaters already. Well, you have to take advantage of the mojo when it hits ya and you did. I love the grey color. Pretty spinning too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that is an impressive amount of knitting. Such a shame about one not been long enough. Could you stitch some vintage lace or crochet a lace edge onto it to give it some length? Impressed by the spinning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that socks are about the only thing on my needles. My mind wanders a lot to my stash and high hopes just fade away with other commitments this time of year. Wish I had your mojo...sweaters are gorgeous and your spinning is really so beautiful. Can't wait to see final results. Knit on girl, enjoy the summer and finally the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to suggest a crochet edge, as well. I remember you did something like that on the cream, lamb's wool sweater, and it was gorgeous.

    I've been crocheting a blanket. It is 4/5ths finished, which is to say, I need 5 sets of my colors, and I have 4 completed.

    It is ~not~ the time of year to be snuggled under a blanket I am working on lol

    that's how *I* roll =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....I am just focusing on finishing WIPs this summer...I do have a sweater on the needles, well a sleeve....not sure if I'll work on it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I didn't know you could extend the bottom of a bottom up item. But wait, how do you do that? Connect the extension to the sweater with kitchenette stitch like socks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since we're moving house and my entire sewing room is packed up, I'm working monogamously on the same shawl. I'm jealous of your 3 sweater game. On that beautiful Ink colored sweater... I would wear a slightly longer tank underneath and let it show at the bottom. Done. Love all your spinning so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely sweaters! Once again blown away by the speed at which you knit! Great to know I'm not the only one for whom stripes wield their own special kind of magic?! Love that teal and lettuce combo, that will make a gorgeous sweater! Knitwise I have a pair of socks for Hubbie on the back burner (why do men have to have such big feet?!) and am concocting a kind of cardigan out of a circular shawl pattern that I have loved on Ravelry for a long time. Finally admitting no amount of knitting shawls is gonna transform this t-shirt-and-jeans girl into one of those shawl-wearing-nymphs-dancing-on-the-beach from the magazine pages lol! Happy knitting :-)
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful sweaters. How do you get dressed in the morning with so many lovely choices? My "thing" at the moment is crocheting mandalas. I've learned that making something both round and flat requires attention. I haven't found an answer to my husband's question "What do you do with it?" But they are fun to make, like little puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knitting baby blankets in Festival/Boho/Hippy colours, blocks of different colours - knit a block, pick a colour, pick up stitches along one edge and knit a block and repeat. Different size blocks, different colours. Some with a theme, all blues, all pinks and reds, all greens, all very random in some cases, colours that you'd think would clash, but actually sit well together. And knitting four ply shawls from Ravelry patterns, I like the contrast between thicker wool for the blankets and then finer for the shawls. Summer has left us temporarily after over a week of 30 degrees plus... now it's 12, wet and windy. Ah well, the garden needs it.

    ReplyDelete